Guoqiang Li received his PhD degree from Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics (with Prof. Liren Liu), Chinese Academy of Sciences and later became a Professor and Ph. D advisor there. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship (with Prof. Shaya Fainman and Prof. Sadik Esener) at the University of California, San Diego, and then worked at Carl Zeiss Meditech, Inc. as a research scientist. He joined College of Optical Sciences at University of Arizona in 2003 (with Prof. Nasser Peyghambarian) and was an Associate Research Professor before joining the faculty of College of Optometry at University of Missouri – St. Louis in 2008. Since Jan. 2012, he is an Associate Professor at Ohio State University with an appointment with Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science.
Dr. Li received the Outstanding Young Scholar Prize from Hong Kong Qiu-Shi Science & Technology Foundation. He is a Fellow of OSA (The Optical Society) and SPIE (The International Society for Optics and Photonics), and a member of ARVO (The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology).
Dr. Li served as the panel member for the federal research programs (NIH study section and Army medical research program). He helps many journals to review the manuscripts.
He was the chair of the subcommittee for Frontiers in Optics on Optical Design, Fabrication, and Instrumentation (2009-2011, organized by OSA - The Optical Society of America) and the Co-General Chair for OSA Topical Meeting on Bio-optics Design and Applications (2011, 2013). He was the OSA Division Chair on Optical Design, Fabrication, and Instrumentation (2012-2014). Currently he is serving as the Technical Committee member for OSA Topical Meeting on Bio-optics Design and Applications (since 2011) and the Executive Committee member of OSA Technical Group on Holography and Diffractive Optics (since 2016).
Editorial board service:
- Editorial Board Member: Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group)
- Guest Editor, Biomedical Optics Express (2013)
- Editorial Board member: Journal of Ophthalmology and Clinical Research
- Editorial Board member: Austin Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology
- Editorial Board member: International Journal of Ophthalmology & Eye Science
- Fellow of OSA (The Optical Society)
- Fellow of SPIE (The International Society for Optics and Photonics)
- Irene D. Hirsch Chair in Ophthalmology, The Ohio State University
- Missouri 100
- Wallace H. Coulter Foundation Career Award
- The Outstanding Young Scholar Prize of Hong Kong Qiu Shi Science & Technology Foundation (This is one of the highest awards for young scientists in China)
- The Young Scientist Prize from Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Natural Science Award by Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Special Prize of the Presidential Scholarship of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- The Bao Steel Education Scholarship, which is given to the best student in china
- Daheng Optics Scholarship of Chinese Academy of Sciences, which is given to the best graduate students in optics
- First-class scholarship each year during undergraduate study;Best student model; highest honor at graduation